Frequently Asked Questions

Pre Purchase Home Inspections

What kind of report is best for my property and situation?

Please speak to one of our friendly staff to discuss your particular needs and what type of report is best for your property.


How much does it cost?

Each quote is tailored to the property’s unique circumstances. So contact us for a quote today.


Is the report typed or hand written?

We offer both verbal and typed reports, depending on your requirements.


We just want a quick cheap inspection to tell us if the property is structurally sound. Which of your services is best suited for this, what do you inspect and how much does it cost

You can arrange a verbal report, which is a budget friendly option. You still get an expert checking out your property, but don’t get a written detailed report. Our expert will tell you the results of the assessment either in person at the property or via telephone.


Why do you offer only a verbal, and not a full written, report for homes older than 30 years?

We cannot document every rusty nail and crack, often present in older homes. However if we find a major structural defect in the building we would still document this so that you can then cancel the sale, if you wish.


How do we arrange access to the property for the inspection?

For pre-purchase inspections, we will arrange access to the property through your real estate agent directly.


We signed the contract subject to a satisfactory building inspection. Does this cover us if we do not want to go ahead with the purchase?

The Sales Act dictates that a contract can be cancelled only if a ‘major structural defect’ is found. We always recommend a building inspection before you sign the contract or before your cooling off period expires.


I am moving to Victoria. Will the photographs in the report give me a good picture of my new home?

Yes. If possible we photograph the front, kitchen, roof space and sub-floor area of the house. Additional photos can be arranged upon request.


We are concerned about termites. Do you offer a termite or pest inspection service?

Yes. A termite or pest inspection can be arranged at the same time as the building inspection.




Owner-Builder (S137B) Reports

As Owner-Builder all the Council and other Building Inspections have been done. Why do I now have to arrange yet another Inspection before I sell my home?

This is a legal requirement for all owner builders under the Sales Act. Contact us for a quote on owner builder inspections.


What is the cost of an Owner-Builder Report?

The cost of an Owner-Builder Report is determined mainly by the size of the project. Free quotations are available by phone or email.


Will I also need Warranty Insurance?

Domestic projects of $16,000.00 or more in value, as stated on the Building Permit, require Warranty Insurance. Our inspection service includes assistance with contacting warranty insurance providers. Domestic projects of less than $16,000.00 in value require a report only. Commercial/industrial projects of any value require a report only, no insurance.




Additional Questions

The Inspection is urgent. When can it be done?

Urgent inspections can generally be arranged within one or two business days – however if we can get someone there the same day, we will.


When can I have my Building Inspection Report?

If required, we can call you with a brief verbal overview of the inspection as soon as it has been completed.    Typed reports are generally emailed the next business day.


What are your terms of trading?

Payment for inspections is due on the day of the inspection, prior to issue of the inspection report.


How do you want to be paid?

We accept Visa or MasterCard, or direct bank transfer.


What qualifies you to do these inspections and reports?

Our team of experts are all highly qualified inspectors, registered with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), with many years of experience in the industry and in various kinds of property inspections.


After the Pre-Purchase Inspection could you advise us if and how we can best extend or renovate our house?

After the inspection we will have a good idea of the structure and suitability of the house for renovation or extension and, keeping current building regulations in mind, will be able to advise you of the best way to improve your property.


What areas do you service?

Metropolitan Melbourne and Geelong.